How to select the perfect Rug for your home
On a room-by-room basis, determine the look you want to create in your budget. There is a wide variety of rugs to choose from at many price points.
Design & Color
- First determine the mood you want for a room, formal or casual. The design personality and color of the rug selected will create the desired feeling for the room.
- Formal rugs can anchor a room with a calming effect.
- Casual and fun elements are great for a family room.
- Bold medallions make a dramatic statement.
- Elegant fine lines and subdued colors have a quite pleasing effect.
- Vintage patterns are a traditional way to reminisce about their time and place.
- Pure colors are more formal and elegant.
- Blending colors creates a broader color pallet and can be easier to decorate with.
- Rug patterns can work with the existing designs and fabrics in your room.
- Big Rugs First
- Prioritize your rug purchases according to room size and importance.
- Each rug acquired will lessen your choice for future rug selections.
- Accent rugs & runners are easier to co-ordinate with the main rug than vise-versa.
Room layout, size & walls will limit the dimensions for a comfortable fit.
- Furniture setting suggests the minimum size rug that will create an island effect to visually hold the pieces together.
- There are no rules about on or off the edges. Simply, do what feels right & functions best.
Foot traffic should avoid pivot points at the edges of rugs.
Types of Rugs
- Use a tarp or sheet folded to size to determine your preferred rug sizes or mark the rug size on the floor with masking tape.
- Some areas can use a room size rug or an assortment of smaller rugs.
There are 3 types of rugs to consider purchasing:
Factors that influence price
- Handmade, Flat Weave or Knotted Pile
- Hand Tufted
- Machine Made
Use of Room & Rug
- Materials - Wool, Cotton, Silk, or Synthetic Fibers
- Complexity of design
- Number of colors used
- Dying technique (vegetable or synthetic)
- Knott count
- Age & condition of antique & semi-antique rugs
Consider the amount of traffic and soil that will be picked up. Are you looking for a piece of art for your floor that will last for a lifetime or a decorating accessory for the short term?
- Handmade weavings from natural fibers make an inviting soft appeal.
- Pattern clarity is achieved by using tight smooth finishes.
- Tribal artifacts, pillows & tapestries can be components of a well-decorated room.
- Area rugs are movable from room to room and house to house.
- Quality materials & construction will longevity of both the look & value of a fine rug.
- Handmade oriental rugs will last for generations with proper care & maintenance.
Bring your color swatches & fabrics with you when shopping. Also include wood stains, ceramic tiles & counter top samples. Having these samples will help guide & make you a more confident shopper.